Saturday 1 October 2022

At the Governor's pleasure...

Friday 30th September - 2022

Celebrating the 75th Anniversary of Sylvanvale (1947-2012).

l am so proud to be the son of Norma & Alan Warburton and the brother of Carol Warburton.

My parents way back in 1947, (75-years ago) had the fortitude & insight along with four other families in the Sutherland Shire to be the foundation members of the Handicapped Children’s Centre of New South Wales. (now called Sylvanvale).


(Above) Her Excellency, the Honourable Margaret Beasley, AO, QC, Governor of New South Wales & yours truly.

From those early humble beginnings in the Baptist Church at Flora Street in Sutherland, the church allowed a group of ladies who had a child with a disability, including my mum, to meet in the church hall. It started off like a playgroup & support group for the parents & children.

Sylvanvale wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for the tireless work it’s founding families contributed all those 75-years ago.


(Above) The sight that greeted me an my arrival at Government House.

Today, we support over 750 children & adults through out Sydney & the Blue Mountains with more than 20 group homes to support people (that are less fortunate than you & I) with disabilities to reach their potential.

What I am getting at is this; If it wasn’t for all that came before us, I wouldn’t have received this wonderful invitation to attend the 75th Anniversary Reception at Government House last night.


(Above) Guests mingling & enjoying themselves at Sylvanvale's 75th Anniversary Reception

Here is the following invitation that I received... Her Excellency the Honourable Margaret Beasley, AC, QC, Governor of New South Wales & Mr Denis Wilson request the pleasure of the company of Mr Kenneth Warburton at Sylvanvale's 75th Anniversary Reception on Thursday 29th September 2022 at 6:00pm-7:30pm. Dress code: Lounge Suit. Parking is available in the grounds of Government House.

I feel so privileged to have been in the company of our very own Governor of New South Wales, Margaret Beasley, AC, QC to share this magnificent achievement & milestone in the history of Sylvanvale that my parents were the foundation members 75-years ago.


(Above) Interior Wooden stair case with a full-length portrait of HRH, the late Queen Elizabeth II, still on display.

If the founding Mum’s & Dad’s could only see what the Handicapped Children’s Centre has evolved into, they would be delighted.

To come from those humble beginnings 75 years ago where they could not rub two copper coins together to now witness this multi million dollar organisation is mind boggling.


(Above) The evening view from outside the official Governor's residence.

My dad passed away in June 2007, my mum passed away in April 2012 & my darling sister passed away in October 2020 (aged 75) however my parent's legacy still lives on.

My sister was one of the first children to attend the Handicapped Children’s Centre of New South Wales (now called the Sylvanvale).


(Above) Also enjoying the evening, the Mayor of the Sutherland Shire and a fellow car tragic, Carmelo Pesce.

My Dad in his words of wisdom would always say to me, “Don’t ever think that you cannot make a difference in this world, son”. 
My Mum & Dad devoted their whole life to the cause & I know they did make a difference.

I am so proud to be able to share this occasion with you, my family & friends. Thanks for listening.

Yours sincerely,

Ken Warburton


Here's a little information on the Heritage-listed vice regal residence of the Governor of New South Wales, Australia. Located on the Conservatorium Road in Sydney central business district adjacent to the Royal Botanic Garden, overlooking Sydney Harbour just south of the Sydney Opera House. Construction started in 1837 & was completed opened in 1845, absolutely an exquisite position.

No comments:

Post a Comment