Tuesday 19 March 2019

The 27th 'Chryslers On The Murray'

Sunday 17th March - 2019

Over the weekend Peter Deane and myself attended the 27th 'Chryslers on the Murray' celebrations. We drove my 1964 Plymouth/Valiant from Sydney down to Victoria via the Hume Highway. 

My '64 Plymouth/Valiant, on its first big road trip in Australia
adjacent the old railway bridge that spans across
the Murrumbidgee River floodplain in Gundagai, NSW.

The last time that we attended this event was in 2013 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Chrysler Valiant's introduction into Australia, at that time we attended those celebrations in my ORIGINAL 1963 Valiant Regal sedan. 

Recently I sold that vehicle to one of my son's mates that absolutely loves this vehicle, he recently told me that when he and his mates are driving the '63 Valiant around the 'SHIRE' they all feel so 'COOL'.

My '64 Plymouth/Valiant in Holbrook, NSW
in front of HMAS Otway - the retired Oberon Class Submarine

We departed Cronulla at 0630 on Friday morning, and we hit the road running. Gundagai was our first stop to stretch the legs and enjoy a nice extra hot coffee at Macca's. This was my '64 Plymouth's first outing since I imported the vehicle into Australia last year, I am pleased to say that it performed beautifully, without a hiccup.

We then pushed onto the small town of Holbrook for another short break to check out the Submarine hull of the retired HMAS Otway, an Oberon Class Submarine. Of course you can not drive through town with out calling into the famous Holbrook Bakery & Coffee Shop for a fresh apple pie and cream, washed down by an extra large Latte Coffee. 

Peter Deane [left] and myself enjoy a recuperative stop at the
Holbrook Bakery & Coffee Shop

By now it was time to push onto our final destination, just across the NSW/Victoria state border in Wodonga, to set up camp in our Airbnb 3-bedroom house that we rented for the weekend. 

We arrived around 3:00pm Friday afternoon and unloaded the car and settled in to our accommodation. I wanted to detail the car for judging first thing on Saturday morning at 0900. So I managed to find a garden hose in the back yard and spent the following 2-hours giving the Plymouth some tender loving care. 


After arrival into our Airbnb in Killara, Wodonga
I managed to spend 2-hours detailing my car for Saturday's Show.

As you can see by the photograph [below] of my offsider, he was once again looked after like a 'Silk worm' by the Trolly-Dolly.


My off-sider, Peter Deane enjoying a full breakfast
that I prepared in our Airbnb fully equipped house in Wodonga

We arrived at the mustering area at Gateway Lakes on the Lincoln Causeway by 0800, parked the car then walked around the swap meet for an hour or so. During our stroll around the park I called Russell Cope to find out where he was at. 

Now Russell is one of the foundation members of the Chrysler Restorer's Club of NSW. We met him and his son Steve in another part of the park, these days Russell has limited mobility probably because he is 87 years-of-age, I just hope that I am on the right side of the turf at that age, let alone be enjoying myself with my son at 'Chrysler on the Murray'. 


I managed to catch up with old friend Russell Cope.
Russell is one of the founding member's of the Chrysler Restorer's Club

This year's event attracted around 650 entrants, down by about 200 from last year. The theme this year was leaning towards the VE, VG and VF models of the Mopar brand.


A Chrysler Hearse - complete with unique Gulf Wing side windows.

I was disappointed to find that there were very few older Classic Vehicles on display (one to be precise) and hardly any 'R' and 'S' model Valiants. The weather was picture perfect, a lot different from the rain-soaked conditions in and around Sydney over the same weekend. 

I also managed to catch up with some friends I'd met 6-years ago that helped me procure a radiator for my '63 Valiant Regal when I was indeed in BIG trouble.


1929 Chrysler ‘565’ Saloon. (This was the only Classic Vehicle on display
over the weekend - which I found to be very disappointing).

Sunday was really more of the same, so we decided to depart Wodonga around lunch time for the 7-hour drive back home to Sydney. I ended up driving into my front yard at 7:00pm on Sunday night after a thoroughly enjoyable weekend away playing cars beside the GREAT Murray River that actually had water flowing down stream which was a great sight.

Lauded as the biggest Chrysler Show in the Southern hemisphere, the border town event continues to grow through word of mouth and repeat participants. At the end of the weekend, thousands of dollars will be raised & donated to the local Thurgoona, Bonegilla and Kiewa rural fire brigades, because with out their dedicated help, this magnificent Chrysler event would not be possible.



I never knew that Chrysler built boats, ever... I discovered this
by reading the display sign about the 1976 Chrysler Conqueror
 - 105 Speed boat. Built in Plano, Texas. The boats were never

marketed in Australia. Very interesting I thought.

The Albury/Wodonga Chrysler Club is a small social club, however they have bragging rights that they are running the biggest Chrysler Show in the southern hemisphere.


The road stats for our Sydney-Wodonga-Sydney trip: 725 miles return trip or for you young ones 1,166 kms. Averaged 26 mpg during our journey. 

Safe travels, looking forward to my next adventure.

Cheers

Warbo

No comments:

Post a Comment