Tuesday 1 October 2019

The 2019 Model A Ford Club's President's Run to Grenfell

21-22 September - 2019

Welcome to the Model A Ford Club's 2019 President's Run to Grenfell & Cowra, NSW.

Lined up in front of the 30-metre-high painted commodities silos
situated on Grenfell's West Street

Grenfell is a quiet country NSW town situated on the western plains and is an ideal holiday spot for history buffs. Its heritage is rich in gold, bushrangers and poetry. In the 1860s, gold miners seeking their fortune came in their thousands, and the lure of gold also drew Bushrangers from near and far. 



Grenfell has a rich & colourful history of gold mining,
bushrangers and poetry

Grenfell is also the birthplace of Henry Lawson, one of Australia's best loved short story and verse writers, Lawson was born on the Grenfell gold fields in 1867.


With my car on the Heritage listed Grenfell Railway Station,
the Station opened in 1901 - before the Wright Brothers flew at Kitty Hawk

On this weekend the Model A Ford Club of NSW visited this historic area in our vintage Model A Fords to the delight of the locals. Approximately twelve Model A Fords attended the President's Run along with forty-five Club members for the 4-day weekend event.


Our Model A Fords lined up outside
the turn-of-the-century Grenfell Railway Station

By now you are probably fully aware of the accident that I had 7-weeks ago on my way back to Sydney from Bathurst with the '55 -'56 -'57 Chevrolet Club. I accidentally fell into a cattle grid while taking photos as I was walking backwards, I ended up in Canberra Hospital for an operation and skin graft to repair the horrible injury that I sustained from falling into a cattle grid.

So needless to say I was very happy to know that a member of the local Grenfell District Ambulance service was staying in the room next to me at the Grenfell Motel just in case I managed to get myself in any more strife.


A NSW Ambulance parked next to my vehicle at the motel, had some Club 
Members speculating that I was now travelling with my own medical team in tow.

On the Saturday morning we visited various attractions around the township, that included a visit to the Historic Grenfell Railway Station where the local Lions club hosted a BBQ lunch for all our club members and the opportunity to display our vintage Model A Fords for the locals to admire.



Grenfell Lions Club hosted us for a BBQ lunch on the
platform of the historic Grenfell Railway Station

We were also requested by the local press to exhibit our vehicles out side the huge, recently painted commodities silos for another photo opportunity.


Later on in the afternoon we visited the Chrysler Museum & Henry Lawson's birthplace in Grenfell, I will write another story for my blog about these attractions shortly.

Please enjoy the stories and photographs of Grenfell & Cowra.

Cheers for now,


Warbo




No comments:

Post a Comment