Tuesday 22 December 2020

The First Season of a Sweater's Lifetime Journey

Tuesday 22nd December - 2020

Have I got a good story to tell you about the world's most well travelled, beautiful Cable-knit Sweater, that my girlfriend knitted for me before I immigrated to Vancouver, British Columbia on the 5th October, 1969. You're not going to believe the story that I am about to tell you.

This story begins way back in another century, on the 5th October 1969, when I immigrated to Canada as a 22-year-old young man, still wet behind the ears. If you are old enough to remember & still have your marbles, that was a mere 51-years ago. In those days Australians traveled to the 'Old Dart' England or to North America to see the world. 

The SS Oronsay arriving into Sydney Cove, note the
Sydney Opera House is still under construction.

I chose to head towards Canada in North America, the main reason was that the wages were much more superior than what the Poms were paying for a fully qualified motor mechanic & what's more I loved snow skiing.

My girlfriend at the time was a beautiful young lady named Pam, we had met in the snow fields of Perisher Valley, NSW, in the winter of 1969. As luck would have it once we started hanging out together we realised that we had a lot in common.

Me and a sporty Mustang GT 500, at Mount Seymour,
North Vancouver, Canada. 1970. Photo: Pam

To start with I had been planning to immigrate to Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada, once I mentioned my future plans to her she was so excited she asked me if I needed a traveling buddy. Well what was a young chap to do, so we started planning our trip as a couple.

However, my trip was all but finalised & I was due to depart Sydney on October 5th, 1969. I was ticketed to travel onboard the P&O Ship SS Oronsay from Sydney. Needless to say we could not depart Australia together because Pam needed to arrange her working Visa for Canada plus everything that is required for such an adventure. 

So we decided that I would depart as planned on 5th October '69 & she would follow 3-months later to arrive in Canada for a White Christmas that neither of us had ever experienced, sounded like a good plan to me.

My skills as a fully trained motor mechanic came in handy
on our world travels, keeping our VW Kombi running smoothly.
September 1971. Photo: Pam

I already had employment arranged upon my arrival into Vancouver, I would be teaching the mechanical staff of this organisation that were employing me how to install Mark 1V car air conditioning units to their customers vehicles. Pam was a key punch operator & would not have any problems securing employment no matter where she traveled to in the world, that would make our partnership work very well.

As the October 5th departure date grew nearer, I received a magnificent going away present from Pam. A couple of days before I boarded the ship for the 17-day voyage to Vancouver, via Auckland & Honolulu, she appeared at my place with this hand-knitted Cable Sweater to keep me warm until she arrived at Christmas. 

With camera and binoculars at the ready, I'm in the main straight
grandstand, poised to take in my first Indianapolis 500 in 1970.
 Photo: Pam

This magnificent Cable sweater that she hand-knitted for me (with love) all those years ago (51-years, to be precise) as a going away present is still worn by yours truly whenever required. I would say that without a doubt this sweater would have to be the most traveled sweater in the world. Because not only did I wear it on our 3-year working holiday around the world from October '69 - December '72, it also accompanied me on almost every international flight I ever flew with Qantas as a 'Trolly Dolly' for 32-years. 

As you can see in the photograph (at the very bottom) there is some wear around the neck & also at the cuffs. Not too shabby for a piece of clothing that is now 51-years young. Many 100's if not 1,000's of people the world over have commented about my sweater & still do whenever I wear it. I get great delight telling them the story of how this sweater came about.

Pam and myself at the Grand Canyon in 1970. Me wearing my 
sweater that has outlasted every passport I have ever had in my life.

I honestly think this sweater would have to claim a world record for longevity & miles traveled throughout the world. It is so warm & being a neutral colour, it will never go out of fashion.

Just in case there are people out there that think this story is a bit far fetched, I have also included a photograph of Pam & myself (above) visiting the Grand Canyon in Arizona in 1970 wearing this garment & holding a Super-8 Movie camera in my right hand with the backdrop of the mighty Grand Canyon behind us.

2020: The world's best travelled sweater today
and it still has plenty of miles left in it.

Now if that is not a good story I don't know what is. That's all folks, I sincerely hope that you enjoyed the story about the most traveled sweater in the world. Definitely different.

Please stay safe & look after each other during these exceptional Covid times. Always remember my Motto. 'Adventure before Dementia'

Cheers
Warbo


Coming up next: I travel to Tasmania to catch up with Pam after we have not seen each other in 51-years. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment