Sunday 31 July 2022

Simply the Best

Sunday 31st July - 2022

Hello all,

Just letting you know that l am really ramping things up here in London for the final few weeks of my vacation here in the 'Old Dart'. I cannot afford to let the grass grow under my feet because before l know it l will be boarding the QF2 for Sydney on the 29th August.


As l had previously mentioned in one of my general emails, l managed to book 10 shows over a 10-day period. That means that l will not really have too many more free days until l leave for Scotland.

Last night I went to see 'Tina', the musical. l caught the Tube into Covent Garden, disembarked & walked around to the Aldwych Theatre which is only a short walk from the station.


On the short walk to the theatre l had completely forgotten how pleasant, dynamic, enjoyable & uplifting this area of London is, strolling past all the bars & eateries.

The last time l experienced this feeling was when l went to see 'Queen' the musical by Ben Elton at the Dominion Theatre in 2012, 10-years ago, while l was waiting for my flight to Ireland for my tour with C.I.E. Tours, they are the same company that l am using this year for my 12-day extravaganza to Scotland on the 13th August. Deja Vu.


For last night's performance l managed to jag a seat five rows from the stage, it makes things so much easier if you only want one seat exactly the same as jagging a seat on an aircraft at the last moment, this theatre is ornate & intimate just like me.

There are only 1,200 seats in this magnificent Edwardian Baroque style Theatre, it really makes you feel as though the cast were performing just for my own pleasure, that’s how good it is.


Adrienne Warren who played 'Tina' was superb, her rendition of 'Simply the Best' was nothing short of sensational. The costumes & sets & orchestra were magnificent.

What l have decided to do with all remaining shows is to rate each performance out of 10.


Last night's show 'Tina' l have given it 9 out of 10 with a star.

This evening l am off to see 'Mamma Mia' at the Novello Theatre which is just a stones throw from the Aldwych Theatre were l was last evening.


Guess what? l know this is getting boring, however it is now 68-days since l set foot in the UK, still have not worn my rain coat or raised the brolly. Hard to believe eh?

Stay safe, look after yourselves.

From the “Squire” reporting live from the West End in the UK.

PS: I believe that Paul Dainty just announced today that 'Tina' the musical is coming to Australia in 2023.


No comments:

Post a Comment