Friday 9 June 2023

Roadtrip to Collarenebri in the Clanger PART 2

 On Friday evening we decided to have dinner at the Collarenebri Hotel, now that was a blast as you can see by the photo that I took in the Public Bar with the locals enjoying their schooners after a hard days work on the land, check out the guys at the bar with their well worn Akubra Hats, not like our Prime Ministers one that he swans around in if he ever ventures west of the Dividing Ranges. 


Local Cockies enjoying a few schooners in the public bar at the refurbished Collarenebri Hotel after a hard day on the land.

Saturday morning Farmer John & myself drove our cars to a Show & Shine outside Colli Pub (see photo) to help raise much needed funds for Cancer research.
Farmer Johns 1923 20 H.P. Yellow Roller & my 1931 Model A Ford parked outside the “Colli” pub  for a Show & Shine to raise funds for Cancer research. We raised just over $1,000.00 on the Saturday morning.
Saturday afternoon I asked Farmer John if we could display our vintage cars back at the entrance to “MUNARGO” homestead because I wanted to have a photo memory of my excursion to Collarenebri.

Our vintage cars on display at the entrance to Farmer Johns homestead.  1) 1923 Yellow R/R 20 H.P. (76A7 Chassis). 2) 1929 Model A Ford Roadster (white). 3) 1931 Model A Ford 2 door Delux Tudor sedan. (Burgundy). 4) 1936 Baby Rolls 20/25 H.P.  (Gun metal grey).

Finally, Farmer John took me out to where the cockies store their cotton before it gets shipped off to the markets to be sold & shipped all over the world. 

I particularly like this photograph because it gives you an idea of how large this area is, especially with my Model A Ford parked in front of these storage fields, the cotton piles goes as far as the eye can see.
Model A Ford parked in front of the Cotton Storage facilities to show you the enormity of the cotton bales waiting to be sold & shipped out all over the world.

Statistics that you may find interesting on my road trip to Collarenebri & safe return to the “Shire” 2230 this week.
  • Round trip.  1,630 kms. or 1,030 mi. 
  • Petrol used in Imperial Gallons & Litres. 
  • 68.16 gallons. 
  • 257.37 Litres. 
  • M.P.G. = 14.86. 
  • Litres per 100 kms = 15.97. 
  • Cost of Petrol on round trip . = $529.00. 
  • Average Cost = $2.05 per Litre. 
  • Average Cost = $7.76 per Gallon. 
Very expensive way to travel in my 1931 Model A Ford. Staff travel sure is looking good for this retired “Trolly Dolly”. 
  • Population of Collarenebri = 650 punters. 
  • The Barwon River is 700kms or 430 mi. Iong. 
  • Barwon River is an Australian Aboriginal name meaning. Great, wide, awful river of muddy water. 
  • One year ago the Grazier were selling their cattle for $2,500 a head, now they receive only $1,500 a head. 
  • One year ago the Grazier were selling their sheep for $235 a head on farm for Iarge Ewes, now they receive only $135 a head for their Ewes. 
What I want to know is WHY are we still paying $40.00 a kilo for Lamb cutlets at the Butchers shop??? We are getting screwed big time, I suppose the authorities blame Covid Iike they do for everything else that happens in this crazy world. You don’t hear about these rip offs in the Fake News media or from the slack Politicians in Canberra, do we. 

The same story can belong to the prices we are paying for our beef. Makes me sick to the stomach how the little man in the street is always being screwed big time. It is not until you go away like I have this week to find out what is really going on here in Australia with meat prices. 

Now that I have had my bitch I should get on with publishing this blog to all my loyal followers. 

Certainly hope that you all have enjoyed reading this particular story of the “Country Squires”  trip to the Aussie bush & beyond. 

Hot news off the press, just released today. “Sheila” has arrived here in Sydney, isn’t that exciting news. My Shipper informs me that hopefully I can pick it up from the wharves at the end of next week, all going well. 

Stay tuned for another blog about the arrival of “Sheila” soon. 

Last but not least, I must remind you all of our Annual Sylvanvale Pre WWll Vintage car show to be held in Sutherland on Sunday 17th of September. You will be able to touch, smell & see “Sheila” one of the most traveled 1931 Model A Fords Town Sedans in the world in all her glory. 

Looking forward to looking back. 

Stay safe & look after each other. 

Warbo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment