Saturday 10 August 2019

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit

Saturday 10th August - 2019

Hello again fellow Motor Racing enthusiasts.

For me, my Saturday afternoon gallop around the world famous Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit in Bathurst in my ‘57 Chevy bought back many wonderful memories from when my Dad used to take me to Bathurst to watch the car and bike races in the late '50s early '60s when I was a hairy-arsed kid.



My ‘57 Chevy parked in the sand trap at McPhillamy Park
 at the top of the mountain from where my Dad and
I watched the races from all those years ago.

I can remember as though it was yesterday watching those daredevils racing their machines over the top of the mountain from our spectator position in McPhillamy Park [above], long before there was a concrete barrier to stop competitors going over the side of the mountain.


Yes, I did witness a few guys crash over the side of the mountain on their motorcycles and sidecars.

This photo shows you the concrete barrier going into The Esses,
half-way down the mountain. In those early days when my Dad
used to take me to the races in the late '50s and early '60s
this barrier was non existent.

For those of you old enough to remember they also raced motorcycles and sidecars around this unbelievable circuit. The first meeting for motorcycles was held in April 1938, the first Car race, the 'Australian Grand Prix' was held 2-days later.

It must be 20-years or longer since I have driven around the race circuit, when I did it this past weekend, I have to admit that it still gives me goose-bumps.



Just past Murray's Corner is the starting grid positions and
the Pit Garages and the start/finish line.

The Mount Panorama Circuit these days is best known as the home of the Bathurst 1000 Motor Race, technically a street Circuit and is a public road with normal speed restrictions when no racing events are being held.

A total of eighteen brave young men have lost their lives competing at this track over the years. Denny Holme the 1967 World Drivers Champion died of a heart attack while competing in a race here on 4th October 1992.



This photo shows my Chevy parked on the side of the circuit
just after Hell’s Corner, also shows the start of Conrod Straight.

I was trackside on 7th April 1969 when Bevan Gibson driving a Elfin 400 Repco for the Bob Jane racing team lost his life on Conrod Straight in a horrific fiery crash at full speed cart wheeling down the straight at maximum speed. I will never forget those images.

Why is Conrod Straight called Conrod Straight? This part of the track was originally called the Main Straight, though it was later renamed Conrod after a Conrod failure that occurred in a driver's car, causing them to retire from the race.



Looking back and down towards the township of Bathurst
through the cutting on the ascent up the mountain.

In case you were wondering what the Mount Panorama Circuit track layout is and how long this spectacular race track is: It's 6.21kms or 3.86 miles. 






Hope you enjoyed the story and photographs.

Cheers
Warbo


No comments:

Post a Comment