Saturday 28 March 2020

Two of my loves make the Blog's new masthead banner

Saturday 28th March - 2020

Lazing around at home this morning in voluntary self-isolation due to the Coronavirus restrictions, I decided that it was about time for a change to the masthead banner photograph of my Blog.

It was 13-years ago when Qantas offered an early redundancy package to us old dinosaur ‘Trolly Dollys' and I thought at the time that it would be the perfect exit strategy for me, so I grabbed that golden opportunity with both hands.


Two of the loves on my life. The Qantas B747-438 Jumbo Jet, VH-OJA
and my 1964 Plymouth/Valiant, 2-door, [three-on-the-tree] sedan.

I was fortunate enough to have 34-years service with Qantas Airways and I had decided, ‘enough was enough’ it was now time to change direction in my life while I was still mentally and physically able.


This particular aircraft in the photos is VH-OJA, a Boeing B747-438 Jumbo (City of Canberra) which was in service with Qantas for just a tad over 25-years, so whenever I look at this aircraft it brings back wonderful memories that I would have flown on this very aircraft as crew to the moon and return many, many times over - without a doubt.

It was subsequently donated to the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society at the Illawarra Regional Airport in Wollongong, NSW via a delivery flight on 8 March 2015.


Editor's note: The 29th March, 2020 saw the final Qantas B747-400 revenue flight ever. Like me, the Boeing B747 aircraft type, is now completely retired from Qantas Airways passenger operations.

My 1964 Plymouth/Valiant parked below the tail of 
an ex-Qantas Boeing B747-438 at HARS in Wollongong

My Dad used to tell me that when you retire you need a purpose to get out of bed every morning.

Being a Qualified Motor mechanic (before my Qantas career) I decided that it was now time to go back to the nappies and re-ignite my passion for the motor industry and I have not looked back.

Now, I am heavily involved in activities with membership in five Car Clubs that keeps me out of mischief, plus involvement organising the Pre-WWII Vintage Car Show to raise much needed funds for my pet charity The Sylvanvale Foundation.

You all know my Motto: ‘Adventure before Dementia’.

Cheers for now

Warbo

The Squire from the Shire



No comments:

Post a Comment