Sunday 28 April 2019

The Shotgun Jazz Band

US Friday 26th April - 2019 - New Orleans

We have just spent a wonderful evening in and about the French Quarter of New Orleans Jazz clubs tonight. Even the most experienced traveler knows that having a local friend with inside knowledge of a destination makes a trip all the more special.

My newest Uber driving friend (Paul) is just that person, you can see him in one of the photos with his drink in his hand. When my RV broke down on our arrival here into New Orleans, by chance I met him at the workshop while I was waiting for my RV's gear lever to be welded.

Outside the Spotted Cat Music Club
on Frenchmen Street in New Orleans

He gave me all the good oil of where to go & what Jazz clubs to frequent. So this evening we met him and his friend at one of the Jazz clubs he suggested we attend. You can see David & myself listening to a band called the Shotgun Jazz Band at this fabulous Jazz club called The Maison on Frenchmen Street. 

Please look closely at David’s cap, he is a staunch Donald Trump supporter, and also carries a gun with him at all times. There is no road rage when you are traveling with David, I wonder why !!!

Forget about the Jazz clubs on the touristy and over-priced Bourbon Street, Frenchmen Street is where it is all happening & what’s more these Jazz clubs are not a rip off as many of them are on Bourbon Street.

David [left] and my good self. Please look closely at David’s cap, he is a
staunch Donald Trump supporter, and also carries a gun with him at all times

I fell in love with Marla Dixon (Trumpet & Vocals) of the Shotgun Jazz Band, she is a young Hillary Clinton look alike, don’t hold that against her. Her presence on stage was amazing, & boy oh! boy could she sing. Not only that she made her Trumpet actually talk, that is how good she is.

I was so impressed that I purchased two of the bands CDs, as a matter of fact I am listening to one of their CDs sitting here in the Mobile Home typing up this report.


Paul my New Orleans Uber driver friend also recommended that we also visit another Jazz Club called The Spotted Cat Music Club just a short walk up Frenchmen Street from the Maison Jazz club.

At The Maison Jazz Club the Shotgun Jazz Band playing traditional
New Orleans Jazz in the spirit of the great revivalists

Let me tell you that once being entertained by the amazing Shotgun Jazz Band for 3-hours... the following act, the Spotted Cat Music Club had no chance, not even close.

The time here in New Orleans is just on midnight, so I must finish up now as we need to hit the road again in the morning heading for Mobile, Alabama. As I have mentioned previously, this is the third time I have visited New Orleans, the first occasion was way back in the late '60s, then again a few years ago when I came over here in 2013 to watch the Australian V8 Super Cars racing at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas. 

David has never been here before, so it has been an ideal opportunity to show him the ropes.

Our New Orlean's Uber driving friend, Paul on the left
enjoying the live music

Walking around the streets this evening the smell of marijuana you could cut with a knife, as Bill Clinton once said that he did not inhale, well let me tell you, I did, one should never give up a free high, and I don’t mind anything for nothing. As you know many States over here have legalised Marijuana & here in Mississippi, it's one such State.

Cheers for now until the next story from Ken’s ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ 2019.

Warbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment