Friday 25 May 2018

Benalla Trip - May 2018


Departed Sydney in my '31 Model A Ford on Thursday morning at 0800, drove most of the day arriving here into Jindera NSW, which is about 19 kms NW of Albury, NSW around 1500 to be greeted by my fellow Model A Ford friends that live out in the country.

Great trip today, absolutely no dramas all day, my car did not miss a beat, weather fine and not very cold.



Making a stop at the two painted silos of Goorambat,
which are located about 16kms from Benalla.
The 1940's-built silo on the right features a Barking Owl.

I will be leaving Jindera in the morning around 0730 to complete the final 2-hour's drive down to Benalla in Victoria for the Historic Car races at the Winton race track this weekend.

This time last year I made this same journey in my ‘57 Chevy, I enjoyed myself so much I decided to do it all again.

My ‘31 Model A Ford 4 cyl. engine uses more petrol than my big 351 Ford Bronco, even the 350 Chevy is lighter on fuel than my A Model.

I'm looking forward to catching up with other friends over the weekend.

This same weekend in Indianapolis, Indiana is the 102nd running of that great race, the Indy 500. I will be rooting for Will Power the Aussie, I believe he has qualified 6th fastest so he is once again in with a chance to be the 1st Australian ever to win the race.

This road trip will be a good rehearsal for me as the car I will be driving is the same one I will take down to Murray Bridge in SA for the National Model A Ford Rally from 1st-7th October later this year. 

This time last year it was pissing down with rain at this event, hopefully the weather will be kind to us this year.

This coming Monday afternoon I will be departing Sydney for the UK. I am really looking forward to my WWII Spitfire flight over the English Channel in June and also a visit to the Isle of Man for the TT Bike races.


1956 FJ Holden Panel Van used by the RACV for road services, I am sure that
the 1915 Model T Ford sitting behind it was not afforded
the same road side service back then if it broke down.

Friday morning; I departed Jindera at 0730 so that I would be on time to join the Benalla Historic Vehicle Tour (into down town) Benalla, Victoria which was scheduled for 10:00am sharp. 


There were 129 entrances in the Tour. Along the route, we visited the Cooinda Retirement Village, Botanical Gardens, Tim Harris’s Private Car collection, Tallis Winery, finishing up in Devenish for a country-style lunch prepared by the Devenish Hall committee.

We were privileged to visit Tim Harris’s Private Car Collection, fuel pumps and bowsers at 348 Harris Road, ‘Murrungong’ Upotipopon. Which is about 5 kilometres west on Benalla.

This gentleman restores all his vehicles and Fuel pumps himself, I can honestly say that I have never in my life seen any thing like it, anywhere in the world in all my travels.


The green vehicle in the photos is a Briton, I have never heard of one previously. Tim has just completed the ground up restoration of this very, very rare British vehicle. Only about 600 in total were ever made from 1909 to 1929 in Wolverhampton, UK.

Tomorrow at historic Winton Motor Raceway in Benalla the racing starts, the mixture of the 2 wheelers & also sidecars makes it a very enjoyable day of entertainment.



Tim's original 1920 Weaver tyre changing machine, manufactured in 
Springfield, Illinois and imported from the US many years ago.

Since leaving home in Sydney, I have driven 750 kms (466 miles), the Model A has performed brilliantly, so it looks like I will have a date with the Qantas QF1 on Monday 28th May, 2018 as I will be heading to London.

If you are a petrol head you must experience this Benalla week end of racing on your to do list.

Last year the weather was not kind to the week-end, it is amazing how much the weather 
plays a part here in Winton because the weather is very unsettled in this area the locals tell me.

I am tucked up in my Motel room here at the Glider City Motel Benalla watching the footie preparing my self for tomorrow’s activities.

The weather is absolutely magnificent it should make for great wheel to wheel racing tomorrow.Tomorrow is another day so I now need my beauty sleep.



Tim Harris' collection of restored Australian fuel pumps

This green vehicle in Tim's collection is a very rare Briton,
I have never heard of one previously. 



Tim Harris' collection of restored Australian fuel pumps

The Beast & The Best of Historic Winton.

If you have ever wondered what a thundering 27 litre Rolls Royce (Merlin) aero engine sounds like, they informed me here today that if you want to hear it, to just wander down to carport 39 in the competition paddock to satisfy your curiosity.

So l did.

Graham Copeland’s gigantic 1934 Railton Special Race Car gives us a glimpse of what you can do with some old parts and a fertile imagination.

I was having a chat with the owner about this ‘Beast’ and mentioned to him that l will be in the UK soon to take a flight in a genuine WWII Spitfire aircraft & of course this is the same engine that will be powering me in the Spitfire over the English Channel, only difference being that the Spitfire engine is Supercharged. Graham fired this 27 Iitres monster up for me. 



Graham Copeland’s gigantic 1934 Railton Special Race Car
is powered by a 27 litre Rolls Royce engine

Well!! I tell you... carport 39 almost shook of it’s foundations & the noise, was just unbelievable.

Whilst not exactly a streamlined beauty this Race Car is reported to be capable of 160mph before take-off occurs. However who would be so mad as to try it out on anything but a straight road.



Mechanic crank starting a Vintage ‘27 Bugatti Race Car.

Then we check out this rare & magnificent Auburn sports car [below]. As far as I am concerned this is the vehicle of the weekend. Auburn cars were produced in Auburn, Indiana from 1900 until 1937. 


The company's former art deco headquarters in Auburn now houses the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum and became a National Historic Landmark in 2005.


Check out this magnificent Auburn sports car
As far as I am concerned this is the vehicle of the weekend


I just love this photograph of this senior gentleman’s beard with the
sun shining on it while he admires the Norton motor bikes.

What more can I say about the 2 Poms in full London Police uniform
posing with their original '58 Six-Ninety Wolseley Police traffic vehicle.

When I was a young motor mechanic I cut my teeth on these Austin A30s.
Don’t miss the cute trailer. Do you think that the owner of this rig would be a Pom?

Sidecar outfits waiting for their call up to the line.
These guys that swing off the side of these machines must have a death wish,
there is no way in the world that I would venture down that road or track.
Historic Sports cars waiting in the holding area before their race

My car leaving the garage after scrutineers have checked that the Ford
is ready to race, while I attend the driver briefing.

I am leaving Benalla at 6:00am Sunday morning, for the 9-10 hour drive back to the Shire.

Have to go now.

Cheers

Warbo.



To learn more about the rare Briton motor Vehicle CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment