Wednesday 31 October 2018

An old girl named 'Sheila'

Wednesday 31 October - 2018

The ship transporting my latest purchases from the USA arrived into Port Botany yesterday after a 3-week voyage across the Pacific Ocean to Sydney. l was at home killing time organising all the paperwork necessary for the authorities so that my vehicles can be cleared ASAP.

While scrounging through some of my car memorabilia,  l found a DVD of all the National Model A Ford Meets held in Australia from 1972-2008. Having nothing better to do for a couple of hours l decided to sit down & have a look at these previous National Rallys held in various cities all over Australia.

As you all are probably aware by now I own a 1931 Model A Ford 4 door Slant Window Town Sedan that is my daily driver when I am in America called 'Sheila'.

With me as you know there is always a story behind the purchase of any of my vehicles, usually l see one & fall in love with it & can not help myself & purchase it.

As you can witness in the screenshots above, l spotted 'Sheila' (Green) in all its glory parked next to another Model A Ford (Yellow) in a mustering car park somewhere in Perth. 

Here's the story on how I acquired 'Sheila'. Way back in June 2013 on one of my jaunts to America, l was preparing to depart Phoenix Arizona in my RV for the journey of a lifetime, to drive to Alaska & return (Approximately 8,000 miles or almost 13,000 kms give or take a few kms, round journey) with the heir to the throne, my son Nathaniel.

Before l left Phoenix, my new best friend Sammy Guthrie suggested to me "why don't you call in & meet these Model A Ford people along the way to Alaska?" l thought that would be a good idea.

My first port of call was to drive to Sedona in Arizona to meet up with Ross & Lee-Anne Morgan, as they are Model A Ford enthusiasts. 

One of the imported US vehicles in Perth in 2004 for the National
Model A Rally. Note the sign on the side "Texas to Perth"

Now to cut to the chase, when l arrived at their residence in Sedona, Ross took me out to his garage to show me his Model A Ford, l immediately fell head over heels in love with his car, he told me that this car's nickname is 'Sheila'. l wanted to know how & why his Model A Ford was called 'Sheila'.

Ross then explained to me that a group of dedicated Model A Ford Club members & himself shipped their vehicles to Australia to attend the 2004 Model A Ford National Meet in Perth, Western Australia, & that is how his vehicle was called 'Sheila' because they liked the name.

Once the National Model A Ford Meet in Perth was over the American's then shipped 'Sheila' & the rest of their vehicles back home to America.

Anyway to cut a long story short, l ended up purchasing 'Sheila' from the Morgans the following morning & continued on my merry way to the Alaska, & the rest is history.

Whilst l was watching the DVD of the Model A Ford National meets, l was particularly interested in looking more closely at the 2004 Rally in Perth to see if 'Sheila' was featured in any of that footage way back then in 2004.

Sure enough, as you can witness in the screenshots here, l spotted 'Sheila' (Green) in all its glory parked next to another Model A Ford (Yellow) in a mustering car park somewhere in Perth. 

Screenshot from the DVD, the Morgan's checking in for a flight in Australia.

Not only that, l also recognised Ross & his wife Lee-Anne (the previous owners) standing chatting to other Model A Ford folks probably in the queue checking in for a flight.

In the other photograph (above, top) you can see another one of their parties Model A Ford with 'Texas to Perth 2004' written on the side of their vehicle.

This story may not mean too much to anybody else other than, Ross & Lee-Anne Morgan & yours truly, however l think it is worth a mention due to all the different consequences & all the holes in the cheese lining up along the way, in other words it was "meant to happen" that l am now the proud owner of this very special & and well-traveled 1931 Model A Ford Slant Window Town Sedan called 'Sheila'.

l hope that you enjoyed the story about 'Sheila'.


Cheers
Warbo


No comments:

Post a Comment