Monday 15 October 2018

Leading Stoker, John Percival Ingle - Memorial

Sunday 14th October - 2018

Today would have been my Father's 100th Birthday. Born Alan George Warburton on 14th October, 1918 in Marrickville NSW. I was blessed to have had my magnificent Dad in my life for 60 wonderful years, unfortunately I lost him 10-years ago.

Today, l was invited to the Royal Australian Navy's Naval Chapel at Garden Island here in Sydney to share with the Ingle family (life-long friends of my family) a moving Memorial Plaque presentation in honour of their father Leading Stoker, John Percival Ingle. A great bloke who helped guide me through my formative years.

Today, l joined Joanie & Barbara lngle at the Royal Australian Navy's Fleet Base
East at Garden Island in Sydney. Which made a perfect back drop
with the Sydney Harbour Bridge & the sails of the Sydney Opera House.

My Dad & Uncle Jack, as I used to call him, both served in the Royal Australian Navy, John passed away 12-months ago. During the Memorial Service today held in the Naval Chapel at HMAS Kattabul overlooking Sydney Harbour conducted by Naval Chaplain Richard Quadrio bought back many memories for me.

The Chaplain spoke about grieving, he said that grieving comes in waves & today l rode one of those waves on this very special occasion. l was extremely moved by these words from the Chaplin.

Naval Chaplain Richard Quadrio delivered
an impressive & moving invocation

The measure of a man is not determined by his show of outward strength, or the volume of his voice, or the thunder of his action. It is to be seen, rather, in terms of the strength of his commitment. The genuineness of his friendships, the sincerity of his purpose, the quite courage of his convictions, his capacity to suffer, and his willingness to continue 'growing up'. (Grady Poulard).

How moving are those words of wisdom.

A dedication to all those men & ships who have served in
the Royal Australian Navy all over the world

Once the memorial Service was completed I walked around the Chapel in silence, reflecting my mind back to my Dad. I came across one of the many stained glass windows of the Chapel. Right there before me l discovered this stained glass window of the HMAS Yarra 
(U77)(1936-1942). This ship was one of the three ships that my Dad had served duty on during the Second World War.

The HMAS Yarra was a Grimsby-Class sloop of the Royal Australian Navy that served during WWII. On the 4th of March 1942, Yarra was lost in action, attacked and sunk by a force of Japanese cruisers and destroyers while attempting to protect ships withdrawing to Australia.



HMAS Yarra in the Persian Gulf in 1941

Fortunately for my father he was not on board the HMAS Yarra on that fateful day, he had been transferred to the HMAS Adelaide before the sinking of the HMAS Yarra in 1942.

Dad also served on the Queen Mary, making many trips from Australia to the Middle East carrying 15,000 Australian troops.

I always remember Dad telling me how unstable the Queen Mary was, he told me that it would roll from side to side tied up at a wharf, apparently when the war broke out they had to complete the construction of her in record time to get the ship into service, hence the stabilisers were not built into the ships construction. 

HMAS Yarra, immortalized with guns blazing in a figurative 
sea battle in Stained Glass in the Chapel's windows

Once the service was completed, you can see l joined Joanie & Barbara lngle in the grounds of Garden Island, that made a perfect back drop with the Sydney Harbour Bridge, also accompanied by the sails of the Opera House.

Leading Stoker, John Percival Ingle's Memorial plaque.

Today's events is a constant reminder of all the sacrifices our forefathers made for us to enjoy the way of life that we enjoy today.






Thanks for sharing my Dad's 100th Birthday & the lngle families Memorial Plaque presentation.

Cheers

Warbo


No comments:

Post a Comment