Tuesday 16 August 2022

Day 1: In sunny Glasgow

Saturday 13th August - 2022

I am completely gob smacked by my first day back in Glasgow after 51-years, the city turned on sensational weather for me, 28°c, blue skies, sunshine, as you can see in the photos for my arrival to start my 12-day Scottish extravaganza.

While l was strolling around the Glasgow yesterday morning l could not help to notice that hundreds of people were walking around in their kilts. I thought to myself , this can’t be right surely to god they still don’t were their National Dress in the 21 century.


I decided to ask one of the punters “what’s this business of you folks still wearing your kilts”. He said ore’ no laddie, there is the World Pipe Band Championships being held here down the road at Glasgow Green at the moment. Why don’t you come on down & check it out.


I couldn’t believe my luck, not only did l come to visit Scotland for its beauty I also just happened to stumble across all these people from all over the world including Australia here to complete in these world championships, & trust me there were literally thousands of them. What a bonus.

I wandered around the grounds taking in all the wonderful Bagpipe music for hours, it made the hairs that I still have on the top of my head stand up, I love the sound of the Bagpipes because my forefathers were Scottish & that explains why I love that one & only sound.


Unfortunately I had to get back to my hotel because I was about to meet & greet my C·I·E Tour Group who were scheduled to leave on our the first tour around the City & I sure as hell did not want to miss out on this city tour of Glasgow famed for its Victorian & Art Nouveau Architecture. 

Today Glasgow is Scotland’s cultural hub. Glasgow has a population of 660,000 people, for those of you that did not know, Edinburgh is the Capital of Scotland.


As you can see in the photos you could buy yourself a set of bagpipes if you wished (see photo above). The first set of bagpipes in that photograph you could duty for £875 or AUD$1,500 if you are inclined to annoy you neighbours.

There are 30-people on this very exclusive tour from all over the world including 3 Aussie’s of which I am one. Our Tour guide, John, is Scottish, our coach driver Gary is Irish. They will be with us for the entire trip.

I am very impressed with what I see so far, if my hunch is correct as I mentioned previously this part of my holiday will definitely be the highlight of my tour of the British Isles in the Summer of ‘22. I am sure the memories will stay with me until I turn my toes up in another 20 or so years, God willing.


Our first port of call this afternoon was this magnificent medieval Glasgow Cathedral, being such a magnificent day weather wise I requested that I wanted to take a photograph of our newly formed 
C·I·E Tour Group in front of the Cathedral of all our new friends just to break the ice.

This photograph sure achieved its purpose & now that I have broken the ice with everyone it has made it so much easier for everyone to be friendlier to each other almost immediately because they all want a copy of that photograph that I have taken in front of the Cathedral.


It actually turned the clock back to my early flying days when all the crew would venture out together before Walkman’s & mobile phones were the curse to society.

The photo of that superb building is the Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum which was of great interest to me because John our tour guide mentioned that there was a Spitfire Aircraft hanging from the ceiling & you all know the soft spot I hold in my heart for that wonderful aircraft that I was fortunate enough to fly over the English Channel a few years ago.

I definitely was not disappointed with the display of the Spitfire in the museum, plus they had on display a Haggis taxidermy mount, which l really wanted to see what those creatures actually looked like.


When our Coach bought us back to our hotel from the City tour around 5:00pm it was time to freshen up, have a shower then meet all my very best new friends in the bar for welcoming drinks at 6:00pm followed by dinner in the restaurant.

During dinner our Tour Guide John gave us all a briefing of our trip & what he expected from all of us before retiring to my room for a well earned sleep.

I have just read today’s plan of events, brekko at 07:00 board coach at 08:15 for another day sightseeing here in Glasgow.

A Haggis taxidermy mount, l really wanted to see what those creatures actually looked like. A Haggis is a fictional creature of Scottish folklore, said to be native to the Scottish Highlands.

Take a ferry to the lsle of Bute for stunning island scenery and a guided tour of the 19th Century Mount Stuart House. Spend some time in Rothesay, the main town on the island. Enjoy a free evening in Glasgow & dine independently.

Stay tuned for more of Warbo’s Magical Mystery Tour of Scotland”.

Cheers for now, must prepare for breakfast.

Warbo

No comments:

Post a Comment