Tuesday 9 August 2022

2022 MotoGP British Grand Prix

Sunday 7th August - 2022

Another day in the life of your roving unpaid correspondent who is working under the pseudonym name of the 'Squire' from the Shire. You know I could really get to enjoy this holiday business. When I woke up this morning I thought to myself ‘how darn good is this’.

I definitely missed my calling first of all training to become a grease monkey in my teens & then later in my 20s becoming an International 'Trolly-Dolly' with Qantas Airways.

Aussie Jack Miller finished on the podium
with third place on his orange Ducati

When I was a hairy-arsed kid I had these delusional dreams that I wanted to become a wildlife photographer, sitting out there in the scrub for hours or weeks on end waiting for that one-in-a-million wildlife photo that would make me famous like Sir David Attenborough.

Didn’t happen, here I am sitting in my small B&B room in ancient Redbourn typing madly away for another story to join the rest of my many stories on Warbo’s 'Magical Mystery Tour' of the UK in the summer of 2022.

The good result for me is that I have enjoyed sharing my experiences & adventures with my friends from all over the world. The responses have all been in the positive, as yet I have not received one bad comment from anybody. Maybe you are all too polite to tell me to pull my head in & just shut up.

The MotoGP Grand Prix beasts snaking their way
around Beckett’s corner almost in front of me

My last email was written at 04:30 yesterday Sunday (7/8/22) with a certain wish list that I wanted to eventuate at yesterday’s MotoGP British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

My first request was that Jack Miller (our Aussie boy) would be competitive in the 20-lap MotoGP British Grand Prix & hold our flag up high for Australia. Jack qualified on the front grid in third fastest time, during an action packed, heart stopping race he actually led the race until his tyres started to go south & had to settle for 3rd place on the podium which I also wished for, & that also did happen.

My view looking north through the Grandstand towards Chapel corner

My Grandstand seat in the Beckett’s stand was sensational as you can see by the photo above. From my reserved seat in the stand I could not only see what was happening in front & to the sides of me on the track I could also see other parts of the race circuit in the distance so it was well worth the extra money I paid for the seat.

My other two interests in the Grand Prix was 21-year-old Remy Gardner, son of one our past great World Champions (Wayne Gardner) This is the first season he has stepped up to the big boys division & he will take some time before he hits his straps with the big fellas. However he has the right DNA to succeed at the top level.

Wayne Gardner used to live down Burraneer Bay where I live, another former 'Shire' boy. They are everywhere.

Remy Gardner, son of former Australian
1987 World Champion - Wayne Gardner  

My third interest was an Italian rider named Franco Morbidelli (Yamaha) he is a friend of a friend of mine back home in Sydney, the plan was to have my friend (Coil-Spring) that’s his nick-name. Coil-Spring was trying to get Franco to organise a visit to the pits for me. However that did not happen because all the stars did align correctly, unfortunately. Bugger.

Now I know you are all waiting with baited breath for me to give you my preferred class of motorcycle racing, between the Superbikes & MotoGP bikes, well here is my verdict. 
As you know I attended the British World Superbike Champions at Brands Hatch recently, keeping that in mind I will continue.

I did mention to you that I had fallen in love with the Brands Hatch Motor Racing Circuit, my words were 'Exquisite & Intimate' & not for one moment have I changed my mind about what I said on the 24th July ‘22.

Event winner, Italy's Francesco Bagnaia

I was definitely spoilt on that day at Brands Hatch, I consider Silverstone to be just too big with no personality & way too expensive for a battler like myself to watch motor racing.

Ticket price at Brands Hatch including entry & Grandstand seat on possibly the best corner of any motor racing circuit in the world (Paddock Hill Bend). UK£54 or AUD$94.00. Ticket price at Silverstone including entry & Grandstand seat. UK£
188 or AUD$326.00.

Almost three times the price & believe you me the difference is definitely not worth it between the two categories for sure as long as my arse points to the ground.

When I spoke to various people yesterday about the race, they told me that MotoGP racing has completely lost the plot, & as you can witness in my photographs the stands are empty of spectators. At those prices why wouldn’t they be.

Note the mostly empty outer stand

As far as I am concerned it was a complete rip off. You may as well stay at home & watch the MotoGP British Grand Prix in the comfort of your lounge chair with a cool one in your hand & save yourself $366.00.

Apparently yesterday’s spectator crowd was 50% down on last year's event. Some of them even told me that they will be changing their allegiance over to the Superbikes. Something does not add up, does it?

You really could not tell the difference between the speeds of both categories, & my opinion is that the Superbikes sound much better & have more grunt, l like that word, don’t you?

There you have it. I am definitely a Superbike fan through & through. Tonight another trip to the West End to see ‘Phantom of the Opera’ at Her Majesty’s Theatre at Piccadilly Circus. Stay safe.

Cheers from the 'Squire'.

Warbo


Final placings for yesterday's MotoGP British Grand Prix are as follows.

1st. 
Francesco Bagnaia. Italy. Ducati.
2nd. Maverick Vinales. Spain. Aprilia.
3rd. Jack Miller. Australia. Ducati.

Of interest...
15th. Franco Morbidelli. Italy. Yamaha
18th. Remy Gardner. Australia. KTM Team

No comments:

Post a Comment