Friday 10 May 2019

Heading back West to Phoenix, Arizona

Thursday 9th May - 2019

I'm headed back west across the country now, after leaving the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I'm headed for my home in the Valley of the Sun in Chandler, Phoenix, Arizona. A total journey of 1,829 miles.


My journey map home across the US is a total 
trip distance of 1,829 miles
[click to enlarge]

My journey takes me across Oklahoma, then the Texas panhandle through Amarillo, Texas and then into New Mexico. Earlier today, I called in at the public roadside attraction of the Cadillac Ranch, a collection of ten half-buried, nose first, Cadillac cars, just outside of Amarillo, Texas.


I made a leg-stretcher stop at the famous Cadillac Ranch near
Amarillo, Texas. There had been some heavy rain in Texas in the days proceeding.

Update: I have just arrived into Santa Rosa, New Mexico. I got off Interstate 40 looking for a fuel stop & have a look at what I stumbled upon. I drove up the Main Street, which is actually the old, historic Route 66 Highway looking for somewhere to lay my head down for the evening and came across this Route 66 Auto Museum.



What a great find I stumbled upon, the Route 66 Auto Museum
in Santa Rosa, New Mexico

Unfortunately it was too late to check out the Museum because they closed 1-hour ago, however, I took full advantage for an outdoor photo shoot & as you can see by these sensational photographs of this GEM of a Museum.

When open, it has over 30 cars on display and has an admission price of just $5.00. The owner also has a workshop and auto repair garage just up the street, so this would be a handy place to break down.

An unusually fitted out old '58 Ford Edsel Corsair
featuring, of all things, a Back Ho!

Today has been another great day on the road, I have driven a total of 420-miles, now leaving me only a distance of 557 miles to make it home to Phoenix.


Tomorrow, I hope to do another 400-mile day, leaving me approximately 157-miles on Saturday morning to complete my mammoth journey from the Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina to my home in the Valley of the Sun in Phoenix, Arizona one day ahead of schedule. 

A pair of rather unique looking late '58 Ford Edsels 
out the front of this Museum

I am just like Qantas. If we don’t arrive on time... we arrive ahead of time.

I also gained an hour today because of the time change, so instead of it being 2045 right now it is only 1945, I like that & I gain yet another hour before I arrive back into Phoenix. 

In the distant background you can see my RV, 
this is where I set-up camp for the night.

More useless information from this road trip:

* By the time I arrive back in Phoenix I would have driven 5,208 miles (8,341 kms) not too SHABBY for a middle-aged ex-Trolly-Dolly, and that does not include the miles we drove in the Toyota Echo while sightseeing.


In the background you can just see my Mobile Home, 
this is where I am staying this evening

* All up, I've taken in 13 Southern States: Arizona - New Mexico - Texas - Louisiana - Mississippi - Alabama - Florida - Georgia - South Carolina - North Carolina - Tennessee - Arkansas - Oklahoma and some of them twice in my 23-days away.

Doesn’t sound too scary if you say it quickly. I am exhausted just thinking about it.

Gotta go and prepare my dinner, on the menu this evening is Lobster & Caviar washed down with Moët.

Cheers for now.

Warbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment