Sunday 5 May 2019

Terminal 10 - 9 hours and one rocket launch later

Saturday 4th May - 2019

You never know what to expect when you are on the road especially with me running the Show.

Dave and I parked in Port Canaveral's Cruise Ship Terminal 10 car park last night, you could have fired off a shotgun here in the car park until 0600 this morning and you would not have hurt anybody. However I must tell you one story first before I tell you what happened at 0600 this morning.



At 6:00am, I awoke to find a Disney Cruise Line
tour bus parked right alongside me

Being tour director, I am always trying to think ahead about our plans for the next day and beyond. Last night I decided to have an early night to re-charge the batteries. The plan was to set my alarm for 0230 in the morning after I had caught up on some sleep, so that I could plan our day at the Kennedy Space Centre. At the same time I thought that I would also catch up writing my blog.

I was sitting at my dining table typing away at 2:48am, then all of a sudden there was this almighty roar, my Mobile Home started to shake & vibrate, not only that, the ground was shaking violently.



This is the actual SpaceX launch that shook my RV
in the dead early hours of the morning, this morning

I must admit that I was scared shitless, I thought that it was either an earth quake or a HURRICANE about to wipe me out. All this business went on for I suppose 4-5 mins. Once I gathered my thoughts, I realised that NASA had launched a SpaceX rocket from next door in Cape Canaveral that we were completely unaware of.


During the day today I asked the authorities at the Kennedy Space Centre what had happened at 2:48am this morning. They informed me that yes, it was a SpaceX ISS Mission rocket launching at 2:48am.  


Tesla electronic vehicle innovator, Elon Musk's private company called SpaceX had launched the rocket with the payload cargo 'Dragon' vehicle attached in conjunction with NASA. It was their 17th mission to deliver NASA cargo to the International Space Station circumnavigating the earth. 

So that explained everything to me, how interesting is that?


One of the two huge cruise ships that arrived in the early hours of 
the morning to get our quiet car park jumping with traffic

Now back to my story of what eventuated at 0600 this morning. Once I had organised today’s events, and caught up with my blog I went back to bed as it was only 0430. I wanted to utilise those extra couple of hours shut eye.


Again, I was woken up by this constant noise of diesel engines running right outside my Mobile Home, I peeked through my blinds and to my HUGE surprise there were all these Coaches parked in the parking lot, all with their engines running to keep their A/C units running. Obviously these coaches were there to pick up passengers off the cruise ships that had arrived in the early hours.



Here we are, surrounded by large motor coaches
with their A/Cs units running at full blast

Then I looked out the other side of my Camper towards the dock area. I could not believe my eyes, during the early hours of the morning these two HUUUGE Cruise ships had arrived. And I mean “HUGE” 

These coaches were there waiting for the thousands of passengers to disembark to take them of to nearby Disney World in Orlando and of course to the Kennedy Space Centre.



The peace and quiet of our evening was disrupted by the
arrival of tour buses to pick up the cruise ship passengers at 6:00am

David and myself packed up our camp and drove on to the Kennedy Space Centre. We spent the whole day there today. A story of our time at the Space Centre will be written when I get the chance.

Remember, ‘Adventure before Dementia’.
Cheers for now Warbo.


No comments:

Post a Comment