Saturday 11 May 2019

More than a snowflake...

While you were sleeping in your nice warm beds in Australia, I have just experienced the ride of my life.

Last year I put my life at risk in my Model A Ford on the drive through the dessert states of Arizona & Nevada in soaring heatwave conditions on my journey to the Model A Ford National Meet in Reno Nevada. At the time I said to myself; ‘never, never again.’



My RV, still covered in sheet ice after
surviving my drive through a blinding snowstorm

That was chicken feed up until this morning. Just when you think that you are home and hosed, nature decides to throw you a curve ball just when you are not expecting it. This morning I departed Santa Rosa, in New Mexico expecting a fairly simple and uneventful drive to Albuquerque, New Mexico only 150-miles away. 


The journey should have taken approximately two and a half hours all going well, instead I have only just arrived here in Albuquerque at midday after a four and a half horrendous experience in driving conditions that you can not imagine.


Hard to believe your in the high desert plains of New Mexico

Now I have been around a bit in the short 72-years that I have existed on this beautiful planet, I never ever again want to experience what I have just been through.

About 30-minutes into the journey, the weather started to really deteriorate, I thought OK I have driven in bad rain and bad weather conditions many, many times in my adventures throughout the world in heaps of countries.



Pulling over for break during the
tough driving conditions

Well let me tell you without a doubt today’s experience definitely takes the cake, bar none.

At one point of time when I was slap bang in the eye of this unbelievable snow storm at the summit of this mountain (7,085 ft) I really thought that OK Ken, your number is up. I really did not want it to end this way because I am a long way from home and Qantas do not send caskets home in Business Class or even Cattle Class, not to mention the cost.

When all these horrible thoughts were going through my melon, I could not help myself thinking "why would any body in their right state of mind want to live here, not only that this State is run by the Democrats". Plus the roads are absolute SHIT.



What about these poor old three bikers, 
do you think that they are feeling a little uncomfortable?

I must tell the ‘Donald’ not to even waste his time here in the 2020 election because it just isn’t worth the time and energy to win it for the Republicans, they can do without it.


Anyway, here I am safe and sound once again, even though I am still at 5,588ft above sea level, it has stopped snowing thank heavens, although it's still pissing down with rain.

I have decided to have a nice Blueberry Muffin and wash it down with a cup of extra hot black Bushell’s tea with 2 sugars, sounds good to me.



Even the most hardened & tough interstate truckers
were pulling over for relieve from the tough unexpected conditions

Today, I planned to drive another 400-miles which would have gotten me well into Arizona, at this point of time I have no idea of where I will be later in the day, because I have only driven 150-miles, I suppose that I should not complain. I am still here to talk about it. Besides I need the break.

Just remember my motto. ‘Adventure before Dementia’ only some times I do stretch the limit way too far.



My Toyota Echo tow car, showing the signs
of a tough journey through testing New Mexico conditions

Position Update: 
I could not help myself, once I left Holbrook this afternoon I was going to take Hwy 377 to a little town called Heber, then I noticed another town called ‘SNOWFLAKE’ on Hwy 77, and 77 being my lucky number I decided that this was the appropriate place to stay the night because of my adventures today.

Thank heavens I am finally off Interstate Hwy 40. I have been traveling on that dangerous Hwy for it must be 1,700 miles since I departed Knoxville in North Carolina at lunchtime on Tuesday.

I am finally back on schedule after my horrendous experience this morning in that snow storm way back in New Mexico. Today after all my dramas I did manage to drive the 400-miles that I planned to do last night.


I thought the name of this town was so appropriate
to represent the journey I had just made through the snow

Phoenix in now only 165-miles away, I am now getting down to the business end of the 1,900 miles that was required before I departed Waynesville in North Carolina. If I get an early start from here in the morning I should be back in Chandler before lunchtime, one day ahead of what I had planned once David and myself went our separate ways.

Let me assure you, I definitely will not have any trouble looking at the inside of my eyelids tonight. All that is required of me this evening is to put my pyjamas on and hit the pillow.

The gods were definitely with me today, thank heavens. You will not hear from me now until I am back safely in my trailer in Chandler, Phoenix.

Cheers for now.

Warbo


No comments:

Post a Comment