Friday 6 July 2018

4th July 2018 - Santa Clarita - Part I

US Wednesday, 4th July - 2018

This morning before the 4th July Parade commenced here in Santa Clarita, California, there were eight Model A Fords, we were all meeting at Ron’s residence before we drove downtown to muster for the Independence Day Parade through Main Street.

I was busy doing various things to prepare my Model A Ford, ‘Sheila’ for her big day out in the Parade, when I noticed this AA Ford Truck driving down the road & it pulled up out side the house.



My new purchase on this 2018 US Independence Day
This magnificent 1930 AA Ford Truck

I turned around and was gob smacked by this magnificent 1930 AA Ford 1-ton truck, in all it’s glory & almost original Patina.

Needless to say I immediately fell in love with this beauty before my very eyes. I dropped every thing that I was doing & walked on over to introduce my self to the owner/driver, most of all to have a closer look at this vehicle.



Note the dual wheels at the rear, very sexy. I just love it.

To cut a long story short & don’t ask me how or why, I am now the proud owner of this vehicle. Tomorrow I meet with the owner to finalise the deal & then make arrangements to de-asbestos the truck before I ship it back to Sydney town.

This vehicle is a real coup for me because I have always had a soft spot for the AA Ford truck.

The reason why is that years ago I was watching a documentary on how they built the Hoover Dam all those years ago. If you Google that documentary [click here] you will notice that most of the vehicles working to build the Hoover Dam were these AA Ford Trucks, that was the moment in my life when I decided that one day I would own one of these work horses.


My new AA Ford Truck features dual rear wheels and a beefed
carrying capacity from one ton to two & half tons

Rick, the previous owner and I were having a chat about the ins & outs of this vehicle it turns out that this is a very rare model, & the following reasons are why:

1) This Truck has a short wheel base, 131” in total.
2) The vehicle has double springs on each side of the rear suspension.
3) Dual rear wheels. 

4) I am only the 3rd owner of this vehicle from new with all the history carefully recorded.

Why am I telling you all this? Because of the beefed up rear suspension this AA Ford Truck increases it’s carrying capacity from only one ton to two & a half tons.



A view inside the cabin of my new 1931 AA Ford Truck

The other AA Ford Truck models only have single wheels on the rear, they are also longer in length & their carrying capacity is only one ton. My model can be used as a tanker or grain hauler. However you can also convert it into a dump truck. That is why this particular vehicle is such a rare find.

Guess what!!!  Today is that special day that I realize my dream, I am so excited with my purchase that I am almost beside myself. What’s more these AA Ford Trucks are very few and far between in Australia.

So that is my story for today, I hope you enjoyed it.
Cheers from Santa Clarita, California.


Warbo.




No comments:

Post a Comment