Monday 9 July 2018

4th July 2018 - Santa Clarita - Part II

US Wednesday, 4th July - 2018

My friends did talk me into hanging around for the Parade today, & I am so glad that I did because it was an absolute blast.

Early this morning we dressed ‘Sheila’ for the parade. One of my friends from the Santa Clarita Model A Ford Club even went to the trouble to print up an Aussie flag for me last night, downloaded from the internet, as you can see so it's proudly displayed in the photo below.



My US-Based Model A Ford aptly named 'Shelia'
is dressed for the 4th July Day street parade in Santa Clarita
One of my friends printed my up an 'Aussie flag' to proudly display

This is the fourth time over the years that I have been in America for the 4th of July celebrations. On the other three occasions I have witnessed the parade from the sidewalk, however this year I was actually part of the celebrations, savouring the chance to drive in my very own vehicle.

Independence Day here in the US is HUGE, there were thousands of spectators lining the streets watching as the many floats, bands, fire trucks, Vintage vehicles etc, etc, were displayed throughout the small town here in Santa Clarita.



The locals really get into the spirit of the day

Not forgetting that these parades were happening all around the Country today.

In the photo [below] that yours truly is wearing the Stars & Stripes hat, the gentleman that I have my arm around is the guy that organised the Aussie Flag for me. 


Mike the guy in the black shirt is a Kiwi who has lived in America for 30-odd years, Ron the Model A Ford GURU is the person that I stay with here in Santa Clarita is on the right, the rest are all members from the Santa Clarita Model A Ford Club here in town, a great bunch of blokes. 


A great bunch of car loving blokes from the
Santa Clarita Model A Ford Club

In the other couple of photos you can see the punters lining the streets watching the parade as it passes buy, then there is the lady dressed up like the Statue of Liberty, they really go to so much effort as you can see.

Once the parade was finished about 60 friends of Ron & Carol’s (all car people) returned to their house where we enjoyed food, drinks and a good old chit chat long into the afternoon.



Hollywood starlet and Model A enthusiast Nicole Tompkins
and I. Not only can she act & sing she can double shuffle gear changes
in her own Model A Ford

The young lady Nicole Tompkins that I am with [above] is absolutely beautiful, she is only 20-years old. She owns a Model A Ford & drives it herself, not only that she also knows how to double-shuffle when changing gears, I was very, very impressed with this vibrant young lady as you can see by the look on my dial.

It is now Wednesday evening here on the west coast, either tomorrow or first thing on Friday morning I will depart Santa Clarita & drive south to San Diego to check out the Donald’s wall on the Mexican border, before changing course east to Phoenix Arizona.


As a heat wave sweeps across the south-western US, I really am not looking forward to returning to the soaring heat of Phoenix, Arizona.


Cheers for now
Warbo


No comments:

Post a Comment