Friday 15 June 2018

Departing London Gatwick for JFK, New York

Thursday 14th June - 2018

Preparing to depart the UK for the US

After the One Day Cricket game today I headed for London Gatwick Airport to hole up in the Sofitel Hotel located on the Airport in preparation for my early 4:00am check-in for my 6:30am departure to JFK, New York on the low-cost, trans-Atlantic carrier, Norwegian.


My Norwegian B787 Dreamliner, Rego G-CKWD
with British Polar Explorer, Ernest Shackleton on the tail
Their VHF radio call-sign is  'Red Nose'
I have renamed Norwegian Airlines “The Flying Tampon”.


Here we are crossing the North Atlantic Ocean at 38,000 feet
The B787 flies at Mach 0.85 - that's the equivalent of 650mph
We had a total flight time of just 7-hours. 

My Norwegian B787 Dreamliner, Rego G-CKWD
with British Polar Explorer, Ernest Shackleton on the tail

Arrived here in New York a couple of hours ago, I am now sitting in the American Airlines departure lounge waiting for my flight AA 952 to Phoenix, Arizona departing here at 1330 local. I just checked, the temperature in Phoenix is currently 42ºC [108ºF]. That will be quite a marked difference from the mild temps I've experienced in the UK over the last two weeks.

It was definitely a different experience flying with this low-cost, long-haul airline. This is the first time I have flown on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, it is a very neat aircraft with larger windows, 30% bigger than any other aircraft and a more silent cabin and has 20% less omissions then similar aircraft.

Norwegian is the third-largest low cost carrier in Europe behind EasyJet and Ryan Air. They operate 15 x B787-900 Dreamliners.


The in-seat-back electronic menu onboard my Norwegian B787 Dreamliner

Let me tell you, you only get what you pay for on this discount Airline, definitely no frills. There's 309 seats in the Economy cabin with 8 Flight Attendants.


Hold luggage is 20 kilos - In-cabin bag 10 kilos - so needless to say they get you on excess luggage BIG time, plus you pay for every thing in-flight & they are very strict. You pay for food, drinks, headsets, blanket, coffee, tea, etc, etc. They don’t miss you. However, toilet paper is still free, unless they figure out a smart way to charge us for it.



My purchased in-flight meal onboard Norwegian

On final approach to New York's JFK Airport our flight
descends & tracks over Block Island Sound and Long Island at 6,000ft


Once settled in Phoenix, I am really looking forward to my time here in the States, my pace slows down for the next week or so, I should have plenty of time to kick back, and do what ever.

Cheers for now
Ken


No comments:

Post a Comment