Monday 11 June 2018

Part II - Monday 11th June - 2018

Part II - Monday 11th June - 2018

It has been a long time between drinks, however here I am back in Goodwood, West Sussex, patiently waiting for my flight of a life time tomorrow morning in a two-seat WWll Spitfire fighter aircraft.


The all grass runways of Goodwood Airport are
surrounded by the Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit.
My Spitfire flight will depart off these grass strips.

I drove down here today from Gatwick Airport, on arrival I stopped by the Goodwood Airport and checked in with the Boultbee Flight Academy, just to confirm that all is OK for lift off of my WWII Spitfire flight in the morning.


Entrance sign to the historic Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit

Today the weather has been perfect flying conditions, they have flown 7 flights today so let’s hope the weather stays nice & calm for tomorrow.

This afternoon I have been exploring all around this area, I have checked out the Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit (Bruce McLaren was unfortunately killed in practice at this motor racing circuit many, many years ago & I think Stirling Moss also had his big prang at this circuit). There is also a horse racing track along with the Goodwood Aerodrome.



The tunnel that travels through to the Goodwood aerodrome
and the Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit

The bronze statue is of Wing Commander Douglas Bader, DSO & BAR DFC. RAF. He flew his last mission from this Airfield. (9th August 1941).


Right now I have returned to this quaint B & B  that is situated only a couple of miles from the Aerodrome to prepare myself for tomorrow’s flight.



Wing Commander Douglas Bader, DSO & BAR DFC. RAF

I have decided to stay here for 2-nights, (Mon- Tue) then I will drive back to London on Wednesday morning so that I am at the cricket match at the Oval (Kia Oval) by 1100.The ODI commences at 1300. 


It will only take me approximately 2-hours to drive from here to there & I would much sooner be staying here in this nice rural setting than back in London. Once the Cricket game has finished I will then drive down to Gatwick Airport, stay overnight at the Gatwick Sofitel Hotel at the airport & be up bright & early at 0330 to check into my flight that departs Gatwick for New York at 0630.

Nothing else for now, next big report will be my story about the Spitfire flight tomorrow.


Stay safe.
Cheers
Warbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment