Wednesday 6 June 2018

Tuesday - Isle of Man - Day #5

Tuesday 5th June - 2018

No racing today so plenty of other interesting things to keep me occupied.

My new friend, John Cannon departed the island this morning so I tagged up with my new co-pilot 82-year-old friend, retired race marshall, Sandra. She wanted to drive around the race circuit as she had not done so for a good few years.

I commenced the journey at the start/finish straight heading in a clockwise direction being the same way that the competitors race.



Flower tributes mark the spot on the Churchtown section where 
2015 Irish Superbike Champion rider Dan Kneen 
suffered fatal injuries from an accident on Wednesday.

My first photo [above] shows the spot where young Dan Kneen came to grief at Wednesday evening's practice session. As you can see by the heavily padded tree trunk further down the road, there is no room for a mistake.


Dan Kneen flying around the Snaefell Mountain Road section of the course

Nice words to remember Dan Kneen

Today’s drive around the circuit was much more dangerous than when we drove around the track on MAD Sunday because there was much less traffic today allowing all the testosterone charged men to go crazy on their flying machines. 

When you drive over the top of the mountain there is a section where the road turns into one way traffic with NO speed limit. That means there is no chance of a head on collision with on coming traffic so you can just imagine what happens.

A tribute to Victorian engineering, the 3-foot gauge Douglas Horse Tramway
has been operating on the Douglas Promenade continuously for 142-years.

We returned to the pit area as I wanted to try and purchase a ticket in the Grandstand where I should have watched the races from yesterday. All week they have said all sessions were booked out in all the Grandstands. So today I took the bit between my teeth & went back to the ticket  office to see if any thing had changed. 

Sure enough I purchased a ticket in the front row of the Grandstand where I wanted to be for only £15.00 a bargain, & what’s more nobody will be sitting in front of me. So for tomorrow’s racing I will be in a prime position all day, nice way to finish off the week of racing.

While walking through the pits I came across a couple of K9 Silky Terriers dressed in their Course Marshall outfits, I just hope that they are up to date with their First Aid courses & know how to use a defibrillator in case of an accident.



The Course Marshall Silky Terriers on K9 Patrol

Alternative accommodation are these tent camp sites that are also all booked out for the week, I suppose it would satisfactory if the weather is fine. However it sure would not be too much fun when it rains. 


Alternate overflow accommodation

Another place to visit is the Great Laxey Wheel, it is supposed to be the largest working water wheel in the world that removes water out of the mines, built back in 1857 or thereabouts.


The Laxey Wheel used for extracting water from the mines

Tonight the Royal Air Force's Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows will perform their tricks at 7:45pm over Douglas Bay, the sky is blue with hardly any wind so I will walk down to the promenade & watch their display from the beach.

Tomorrow is Wednesday and my last day of racing, as I fly back to London's Luton Airport on Thursday afternoon.

No more for now.
Cheers 
KGW

No comments:

Post a Comment